News and concert information about Azerbaijani jazz singer Ulviyya Rahimova-Jones.

Another interview! - English translation

Ulviyya recently gave an interview to Azerbaijani Day.az. The original Russian version can be found here

- Ulviyya, tell us about yourself, please. It happens that few people and little is known about you, except for a circle of local jazz fans.

- I was born in 1983 and graduated from high school number 6, while studying the piano at № 21 music school ( also called Rostropovich). Then there was the University of the Arts - Faculty of pop singing and master's degrees, after which I received a degree in musicology.

I performed in the famous children's band Beri-Bakh led by Rauf Babayev. Currently I’m singing solo. Every Friday you can see and hear me in the Jazz Center.

- You could also be seen in the Baku office of BP ...

- That's right, I worked there for a long time as a logistics assistant. My life was divided into parts - until 18:00 – I worked in the office, after 18:00, I transformed into a singer. However, last Friday I became only a singer, I chose to leave company work . I decided to concentrate on my music career.

- Was the main reason that you were among the main candidates for the selection of Eurovision 2010?

- Let's just say - it was one of the reasons which pushed me to the decision.

- You have much to boast?

- Probably, in that I am one of the six candidates for the trip to Norway. I think that is not bad for the first time. And I can brag that I work with very professional musicians.

- How do you think you "shine" first among the six?

- I want to believe it. We all have a chance. I have very worthy rivals. I really like the singing and musical style of Ellie (Milk & Kisses). And Azad Shabanov also has a strong voice.

- How do you think what you are attracted to members of the jury selection of the organizing committee?

- (Thinking) I would guess, my musical style and tone of voice.

- Why did you choose such a profitless kind of music like jazz? After all, because of this you had to look for other work.

- The fact is that I have listened to jazz since childhood. Also, the repertoire of Beri Bakh consisted mostly of jazz compositions. As for jazz, as clearly a non-commercial kind of music, there are true fans. Jazz lovers can also invite you to sing at weddings or musical parties. However, besides jazz, I also sing ballads and Azerbaijani songs, those by Tofig Guliyev, for example.

- And how much does it cost to the customer to have you sing at the wedding?

- This is a commercial secret (laughs).

- And then, which musical instruments do you play and which languages do you speak, I hope that is not a secret?

- No, that is no secret. I play the piano, and am fond of electronic music. I speak Russian, Azerbaijani and an everyday style of English.

- And finally, the last question. What would it mean to you if you didn’t pass on February 2?

- You know, I'm not addicted to "Eurovision", because I live music. I existed before and will exist without the "Eurovision". If someone else wins, I will be happy to root for him or her because they will represent my country!

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Google Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment