News and concert information about Azerbaijani jazz singer Ulviyya Rahimova-Jones.

Ulviyya's interview - English translation

Recently Azerbaijani 1news interviewed Ulviyya about her career and her participation in the Eurovision selection. The original interview in Russian can be found here.---

Creative and talented singer Ulviyya Rahimova is familiar to all fans and lovers of jazz. Her jazz variations and improvisations have charmed even the most hard to please listeners who have heard one of the songs in her magnificent performance, instantly forgetting about who sang them before her.


The vocalist graduated from the State University of the Arts and as a member of the ensemble «Beri-Bakh» participated in various competitions and festivals. Now she performs solo and her concerts are always full of loyal listeners and admirers.

- Ulviyya, how did you hear that you were chosen to participate in the semifinal of the national selection of Eurovision 2010?

- To be honest, for me it was a complete surprise. Zara Badalbeyli telephoned me with the news and at that time I was in Tbilisi with friends. When she told me that I was a semifinalist, I went crazy with happiness. My friends celebrated with me, among them was the participant of Eurovision 2008 Elnur Huseynov. At that moment they said so many great things, so many wishes and positive emotions, that can’t be expressed in words. My friends and listeners really supported and believed in me.

- Did believe you can do it?

- For me, this is a defining moment. Earlier, in other competitions I never participated as a solo artist, I always performed in a group. Here is my first performance alone, carrying it out myself . And I will do everything possible (and impossible) to accomplish this feat.

- What is participation in Eurovision for you?

- As I said, this is a trial that I should undertake. As a semifinalist in the national selection, everything will be decided on February 2. Of course, I want to represent our nation, our native Azerbaijan at the international level, to show not only what I can do, but also to participate in this prestigious competition and breakthrough in my musical career.

- Why are you on the air so little?

- We’ll fix that!!! (smiles) I myself have never rushed to be on TV. For me, my focus has always been creativity, interesting musical projects, writing songs, but not flashing on the air. Creativity is my life. For a long time I combined the artistic life with office work, but today is my last day in the office. Now I will devote all of myself and my time exclusively to music and creativity.

- Has something changed after it became known that you're in the semi-finals?

- I just returned yesterday to Baku. The congratulations are endless.m And it is very nice. You have no idea what an incentive to work I receive from the kind words and good wishes that I get from both friends and strangers. I get calls, text messages, Facebook messages - that day I received over 30 friend requests. Thank you all for your support and love!

- How do you see your performance on February 2 in the semifinal of the national selection?

- I'm preparing an interesting composition. My team and I are thinking about all the little details. Not only will the song be new, but I will be new also. On February 2, you will see a new me and be surprised! But everything will be in my style, in my musical format. Wait for the semi-finals, I’ll surprise all of you!!

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Google Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment